A good friend of mine had an unfathomably crappy week after seeing two children pass on in the hospital. One child was 12 years, the other 4 months.
One does not need to personally know those who suffer the loss of a child to feel on some level the gravity of their pain. Today I feel sorrow for these families, and the families of many many others who don't make it as far in life as hoped or expected.
New life begins with joy. As a birth professional I see it regularly. In those pure moments when parents see and hold their child for the first time the 'what if's' are hidden. What's ahead for this baby? Suffering? Death? Yes and yes, truth be told. These things are the destiny of anyone who is human. The question is, how many days, weeks, months, or years will we be graced with our beautiful childrens presence and gifted with the task of loving them and parenting them? To live in the moment seems to be the best choice available. Children who pass before their time are not a waste of time. In four months, a little baby can fill a mother's heart thus changing it forever.
All that to say, I kissed my children doubly today and stared at them in wonder and thankfulness. This is why every little milestone in their lives matters, along with each kiss, hug, or tear shed. My children are precious to me, and I am humbled to have such a healthy and beautiful family.
No comments:
Post a Comment