2/24/11

Improvements

Well I'm happy to say that all 3 kids (babysitting for a friend today) are well fed, changed, and in their beds for nap time.  I think Lonnie's new Thursday schedule of 10-7 is actually quite a nice break.  He's home all morning and helps out, then works from his computer from 10-11 before driving to a client's for the rest of the day.  I couldn't handle this every weekday, but once/week is nice.

Health has become somewhat of a hobby (obsession?) for me lately.  At first I was letting it stress me out, but I'm realizing that if I look at it more as a hobby, researching because I want to LEARN and not because I have to or else my kids will get cancer...I can actually enjoy it.  Realistically everyone has a health issue.  I have a history of physical and emotional fatigue, and acne.  These things won't stop me from living my life, but I figure if I can make improvements in my diet and lifestyle, I might be able to have more positive and productive days.  I've been doing a lot of research about the autism diet (Feinberg) for Judah, not because he's autistic, but because SPD kids share many symptoms with autistic kids.  Lots of SPD moms have switched up their kids diet and seen VAST improvements.  I guess certain children are just more sensitive to chemicals in foods, gluten, and dairy and can get a cloudy, frustrated brain because of it.  Also, for Wyatt, I'm experimenting with infant pro biotics and essential fatty acids (omega oils).  Omega oils help with a myriad of health conditions, but are famous for giving a brain boost, as well as fattening up the skin cells and helping them retain moisture (yay for eczema).  I have all sorts of speculations (the jury is still out on causes of childhood allergies) about Wyatt's allergies, but my favorite is that he was taken away from me pretty soon after birth to be kept in the hospital nursery.  He had breathing issues.  They gave him antibiotics when he was 1 day old.  There is all sorts of healthy bacteria colonization that is supposed happen between mother/father, and baby after birth.  This happens via birth itself (mother's birth canal), skin contact, and nursing.  Healthy breastfed babies have shown identical pro biotic strains to their mother after even a few hours, and are on their way to full colonization by day 3.  Anything that disrupts this process may hinder the baby's immune functions, and allergies are an immune system disorder.  Interesting, eh?!  Anyways, his eczema is almost gone...but we will continue his special diet for quite awhile I'm guessing.

Now that I've bored you all to death...some kid stuff:

-Wyatt said "Judah" for the first time this week!  Actually, he says "Goodah" but it's close enough, and the first time he said it Lonnie and I acted super excited.  Now he says it and then claps his hands and giggles because he has the impression that saying "Goodah" is a hysterical thing to do. 
-Also discovered this week: Wyatt is like a highly evolved house pet.  He eats off the floor, chases vacuum cleaners, pee's wherever he wants, and LOVES to play fetch :-D.  He brings the ball back to me.  I say "Ready, set..." ...and then wait 'till he raises both arms in the air excitedly..."GO!!!"  So adorable.
-Judah, upon seeing me offer Wyatt some of these crackers...
...asked if he could have some "hexagons too, peas."  Later that same day he pointed to a stop sign and said "Octagon!"
-He now thinks all juice is "pro-ba-ah-git" juice, but when he was sick he mixed his new words up, and asked me for "more peroxide."  Oops.
-Favorite attempted word so far this week: "Brackysaurus."
-I am also thrilled that he's starting to be willing to eat more raw foods.  Just the basics, like apples and oranges, sometimes spinach if it has vinaigrette on it.  It's nice to be able to hand him an apple without having to cut it into tiny pieces.  Wyatt too!  I just like that these kinds of snacks are way cheaper when you think about it.  A box of Clif bars will last us half a week and cost like 5 bucks.  A bag of apples costs 2.50 and lasts a week with ALL of us having 1/day.  We don't have to ration them.  Nice.  Now that I've bored you even more...
I will try to post some pictures later of Wyatt snuggling with his lady baby friend, A.  He likes her a lot, and lays down next to her often.  Judah joined them today as well.  How cute.

1 comment:

Lonnie Smith said...

Heh, Our whole fambly loves those crackers.